Thursday, 22 May 2014

#Bentobabies.... Controversial or Not? YOU decide!


So a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to take part in an article in the local paper The Echo which was about kids' packed lunches. Children's party planner Liz Mullen is hosting an event called Big Lunch which encourages communities to eat together once a year and this inspired the article. I was more than happy to take part because Gus is notoriously fussy. Not so bad anymore but definitely when he was younger he wouldn't eat ANY fruit, veg or salad. Just cheese and some form of carbs...potato waffles, toast (at a push) or pasta and baked beans. Nowadays, as long as I am clever about it, he eats pretty well. But even though some of you may be impressed at the contents of his Thomas and Friends lunch box....remember that this, pasta pesto and chips are pretty much the only savoury things he'll eat IN THE WORLD. So it's actually pretty limiting. 

I mention in the article (which I will post a link to here when it goes online but have a rubbish photo of it for now...) that I got a few ideas from seeing the hashtag #bentobabies trending on Instagram. More specifically I can thank Jade Pirard, a fellow Mummy blogger, for making me aware of the phenomenon by posting lots of lovely photos of the boxes she was making for her son, Ted (e.g. herehere and here). So I poached the idea of cookie cutting sandwiches (which amazingly worked....Gus normally never touches sandwiches!) and spearing little chunks of cheese and fruit on cake topper skewers. 
  


Now not only am I am posting this to shamelessly plug an article I appear in (ha!) it also appears that bento boxes (or creative lunch boxes as Joe Public would call them) are a contentious issue! Grace Hall of Eats Amazing spends her time creating lunch box master pieces. She has featured in the Daily Mail for her creative talents no less but some people have not been so kind. Why anyone would feel the need to attack someone because they choose to make eating easier and more fun for their kid is BEYOND me. But they did. In a very public way. I am not going to post a link to the article but suffice to say Grace was pathetically ridiculed for the fact that she chooses to spend her time making amazing looking lunch boxes and encouraging other parents to do the same. Why are people so childish?! If you click on the links I am pretty sure you will be impressed and inspired and not jealous and cynical...which is the only explanation I can come up with for the nasty response posted on well known Parent site. 

What do YOU think? Have you got a fussy eater? Do you think creating monster shaped food items and alien sandwiches would help your kid eat healthier? I'm pretty sure if I had a Buzz Lightyear cutter, I could make Gus eat anything!

Gus looking like a crazy! 



Super Busy Mum

14 comments:

  1. anything that gets kids eating a wider variety of food is worth it - some people are just natural naysayers. Lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you lovely lady :) thank you for the mention I am so pleased I inspired you! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a lot of these Bento boxes on Pinterest (there's some amazing ones on there, and I think how the heck do they do it?!) and also follow Grace at EatsAmazing on Twitter. I think they're a great idea, and I have two packed lunch eating children at primary school myself. I've never done a bentos box yet, but am tempted to. Although I think they might think I'd finally cracked if I started shaping their sandwiches into ducks or whatever, lol :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Do it! Even if they think you're bonkers, they'll probably really like it!

      Delete
  4. I haven't done the Bento thing yet, but would love to - imagine being a small kid and getting that at school. You'd feel so loved. There's nothing wrong with ANYTHING that gets kids eating healthy. Love your article btw. Famous lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee! Thanks Genna! Do you want my autograph?! ;) Xx

      Delete
  5. I read the article featuring Grace...I was appalled by the disgusting attack on her (and there was also an article on Parent Dish, which was promptly taken down after many complained very vocally on Twitter, in which she was attacked personally in the actual article. ParentDish are one of the sponsors of the MADs, which I believe Grace is a finalist in...)

    I have also been a fan for years, of a friend of mine's blog - Adventures in Bento where I first learned about this amazing way of presenting food...if it helps our kids to eat, then what the harm is there...and mores the point, where the chuff do people get off ridiculing how OTHER PEOPLE raise THEIR children.

    Good for every mum out there who makes a bento box for their kids to make things more fun, encourage them to eat, and be less fussy!

    And well done on the article Mrs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was the article on Parent Dish i was talking about. They didn't take it down immediately. They moved it and the author wrote a follow up trying to defend her position as an "opinion" piece. It was weak. I just couldn't get passed the "get a job line". Awful.

      But yey me for my local Cardiff fame! *coughs*

      Delete
  6. Great ideas for fussy eaters, and congrats on your claim to fame! ;)
    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a fuzzy eater and I prepare food for him that would entices him using cookie cutters to shape his sandwich and making faces using his food. I have read 'that' ridiculous article and I couldnt believe someone would do that to a fellow mother who is working harder to prepare food food her child. Congrats to your newspaper feature. =) #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete